Web Design


The Group

Notes Afloat


The Rivers

Future Trips

Past Trips

May 2010

April 2010

Jan 17, 2010

Nov 27, 2009

Oct 1, 2009

Sept 10, 2009

Sept 6, 2009

June 21, 2009

June 15, 2009

June 13, 2009

May 23, 2009

April 2 2009

Nov 28, 2008

Oct 11 2008

August 3, 2008

July 13, 2008

June 21, 2008

May 24, 2008

April 3, 2008

March7, 2008

Nov 23, 2007

October 2007

Sept. 6, 2007

August 11, 2007

May 27, 2007

April 12, 2007

March 10, 2007

Nov 24, 2006

Oct 5, 2006

Sept 7, 2006

June 17, 2006

May 27, 2006

April 6, 2006

Jan 14, 2006

Nov 25, 2005

Oct 21, 2005

Oct 1, 2005

May 28, 2005

April 2005

Feb 19, 2005

Nov 26, 2004

Oct 2, 2004

June 13, 2004

May 29, 2004

May 22, 2004

April 2004

Nov 28, 2003

Oct 2003

Sept 13, 2003

Sept 4, 2003

Aug 23, 2003

Nov28, 2008

Info Links


Slide Show


This site best viewed at a resolution of  1024 x 768

To read about past trips, please select a date on the left.

Visit this site to learn about the adventures of a bunch of rednecks devoted to canoeing the rivers, swamps, and sloughs of the area. You will meet those who view trips as a fun undertaking rather than a demonstration of paddling skills. You will not find a political agenda. The group includes some tree huggers and others who hold Rachel Carson responsible for many thousands of African malaria deaths. There is wide range of humanity represented. Those who would save the world are welcomed but that is not the point of the group.


Gators Galore on Swamp Trip

Folkston, GA--Ten Fellow Travelers met at the Suwannee Canal Recreation Area for a three-day journey throught the Okefenokee with camping at Round Top and Suwannee Canal.  No  one was late so the canoes were taken off the vehicles and trailers and  loaded with gear.  Paddling was underway by about nine-thirty.  The weather was great.

Art Shelfer and Ronnie Marchant took the Canadienne, Brookcsbeginning2wn Moseley paddled his kayak, Greg and Sean  Ferrell used their Wenonah Adirondack, Rick Metz and Sam Brown manned the Escape,Roy and Eric Moye used the Penobscot 17,  and Charlie Stines soloed the Prism.

The Suwannee Canal was covered in duckweed.  The canal itself is one of the  less interesting parts of any Okefenokee trail.  It is a man-made channel but serves as the gateway to the eastern areas of the swamp.  It is much  like paddling down any  blackwater river.  The canal is lined with trees and swamp shrubbery.  There were several alligators, some turtles,  and quite a few birds.  By 10:40 AM the  travelers had reached the three mile marker.  The paddling was comfortable and insects wereokcsgator2a no problem.  Charlie got a little behind fiddling with changing the batteries in the GPS but the  five mile marker was reached by about 11:30.  Plans were for a lunch stop at the Coffee Bay day use shelter which was temporarily available as an overnight stop because so many of the trails were closed due to drought.

The merry paddlers ate gourmet lunch snacks at Coffee Bay.  Some fishermen came during lunch.  It was a pleasant stop and the usual alligators were there begging unsuccessfully for treats.  The toilet facility was in about as clean a shape as an oksbferrellsouthouse could be.

The group left just before one.  Art and Ronnie managed to get stuck on a log but were helped off by the Moyes.  The voyage continued down the Orange Trail toward the intersection with the Purple  Trail which leads to the Round Top shelter.  The seven mile  marker was passed at 1:25 and  the  eight mile marker was just twenty minutes further on.  There were lots of fish jumping and a couple hitched rides in the canoes.  The canal was thick with alligators.  At 2:08 the paddlers came to the nine mile marker which is almost at the beginning of the  Purple Trail.

The Purple  Trail is unlike the canal.  It traverses Chase Prairie and is a winding, narrow, and shallow trail which is often clogged with water lilies and vegetation.  There were several wood storks in the first mile.  It took about forty-five minutes to paddle to the first mile marker and about thirty more minutes to reach the two mile marker.  The paddlers arrived at the Round Top shelter at 3;40.  It was a welcome sight and was well-maintained.   The men sat around the shelter in folding chairs awaiting supper time.  Rick and Sean tried their hands at fishing and landed a few bowfins.

Roy and  Eric have earned the reputations as the chefs of the gang.   Supper was their duty and they performed it well.  A dish of dirty rice with sausage, chicken, and  some fiery hot sauce was the fare. 

After cleaning up the supper mess the guys pitched the tents and sat around telling lies and enjoying a pot of coffee.  The sandhill cranes were there and a few were seen but many more were heard.  There were  also a lot of wood storks.  The sunset was delightful.  Finally everyone  turned in for a good night’s sleep.  The alligators were underneath the shelter and they constantly splashed and shook the platform.

The morning came and the King made a pot of coffee.  Sam Brown prepared breakfast and it was a new one for the Fellow Travelers.  It was shrimp and grits  with cinammon buns.  The alligators and wood storks were still  out in force, okcsart&ronnie1and there were a few sandhill cranes.

Brown needed to leave early to participate in Jay’s (his son) wedding.  No one  else was in a hurry to leave especially since the Round Top  shelter is  preferable to the one at  Canal Run.  Greg and Sean left about 9:30, Charlie left around ten, and  the others were not far behind.  The three mile marker was seen at about 10:20 and the four mile marker was reached about 10:55.  The group was fairly well dispersed by that time with the  Ferrells being well  ahead and Art and Ronnie being considerably behind.  The Purple  five came up about 11:30.  There were several wood storks roosting in the trees and there were some hawks and vultures.  A few fish still jumped into the boats and there were a lot of  alligators.  The fall  weather  was near perfect for canoeing.

The group gathered at the Blue Trail junction around noon.  After a few  snacks the men began paddling the Blue Trail.  It is a scenic  part of the swamp and is the crossroads for the trails to Bluff Lake, Round  Top, Floyd’s Island, and  the Canal Run shelter.  The trail is short but  passes  through  prairie areas, some  really pretty pools, and through some canopied trails.  It took  about thirty minutes to canoe the first mile.

The flotilla continued until the Blue Trail reached the junction of the Orange  Trail which is practically at the  shelter.   Everyone arrived at the Canal Run shelter at about 1:25 and wondered how the next few hours would be killed.  Ronnie decided  it  was a good time for a  nap and most everyone agreed.  The alligators continued to swim around the shelter.  Rick, Sam,  Sean, and  Greg caught some more bowfins and at least on catfish.

Supper was on Ronnie but it really was on Kim.  It was a very good beef stew.  The refuge had a fire ban in place  due to the dry weather so Dutch oven  cooking was not allowed.

After consuming supper the campers erected the tents.  Charlie had a little difficulty because an  alligator kept snapping at his tent pole  when it went over the side of the platform.   It took  a convincing whack to the alligator’s head to  convince  him  to leave  the  pole alone.  The rest of the night was spent swapping stories.  The weather was again conducive to good sleep.

The coffee was ready at about 7:30.  Art was in charge of breakfast which was designed by the late Jimmy Dean. 

After that the tents were taken down, the canoes loaded, and the ten mile  journey up the  Suwannee Canal was underway a bit after nine thirty.

The canal  was  literally clogged with alligators.  Sean Ferrell said he counted over 250 on the trip.  In less than an hour more  than two  miles of the return trip  had been completed.  The canoes were at Coffee Bay by about 11:08.  The paddlers stayed there almost an hour and then began trekking toward the take-out.  At 1:58 the canoes passed the one mile marker and encountered the first tour boat.  The trip  was completed about 2:30 PM.

It was a very good trip.  The water conditions were low but not so much as to  make the trip difficult.  There were no rookies on  the trip.